In recent years companies from around the world have flocked to China, attracted by its rapidly growing economy, expanding markets cheap labour, and low standards for environmental protection, health and safety. That is changing -- dramatically.
By October 2011 there were over 730,000 multinational corporations (MNCs) registered in China. Although MNCs brought the concept of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to China, studies show under-performance, both in comparison to their practice in developed countries and with respect to rising Chinese expectations.
While relatively new in China, CSR has developed quickly. Both Chinese governments and the public demand that businesses improve their performance on public health, environmental protection, worker safety and social development. Regulatory compliance and image marketing will be inadequate.
In practice, however, it matters less what motivates improved performance and more how one responds in effective and practical ways that benefit not only business, but society as well.
The primary purpose of this guide is to help CSR practitioners and business leaders to make that transition to society oriented CSR and to:
- understand the benefits of substance over appearance,
- grasp the importance of CSR in China and trends that lie ahead,
- develop meaningful CSR programs that meet societal and business needs,
- build productive, long-term community relationships, and
- learn from successful experiences and best practices in CSR
For the full report, please contact:
Tel: +8610 5869 9465-8005, +86 136 9912 4599
- CBCSD and Members Participated and Suggested on the Project for Technical Regulation on Low-carbon Pilot Community
- CBCSD and Members Participated in the APEC Cooperation Network Construction Forum of Green Supply Chain
- Calculation Method of CO2 Emissions in Petroleum and Natural Gas Exploitation Enterprises & Calculation Method of CO2 Emissions in Water Network of Chemical Enterprises
- CBCSD Attended the Workshop for Environmental Protection and Sustainable Development and Delivered Introductions
- WBCSD: Tackling the Challenge, How to Make Informed Choices on Forest Product?
- The National New-Type Urbanization Plan Released, Board Members of CBCSD Help the Sustainable Development of Cities
- Board members of CBCSD Actively Participated in the Carbon Trading and International Climate Change Process
- Two industrial Standards Compiled by CBCSD Passed Examination
- Widespread Use of the Achievements Businesses Energy Saving and Greenhouse Gas Management
- CBCSD held Chemical industry enterprise value chain (range 3) greenhouse gas emissions, accounting and reporting guidelines