The Low Carbon Technology Roadmap for the Indian cement industry will be the first roadmap to focus on one specific industrial sector in a single country. In 2009, the CSI had worked with the International Energy Agency (IEA) to developed the Global Cement Technology roadmap, which was the first report of its kind to provide an ambitious vision for carbon emissions reductions for one industry sector as a whole, up to 2050. The roadmap outlined a possible transition path for the industry to make continued contributions towards a halving of global CO₂ emissions by 2050. As part of this contribution, this roadmap estimated that the cement industry could reduce its direct emissions 18% from 2005 levels by 2050. The development of a India-tailored roadmap is now ongoing, with the International Finance Corporation (IFC) co-financing the project
Involvement from the IFC contributes to the widening of project coverage and scope. In particular, IFC support will enable CSI member companies in India to undertake a resource efficiency assessment looking into feasibility of implementation of these technologies at selected manufacturing plants. The assessment will identify specific areas where investments related to energy efficiency, technology up-gradation, material conservation, etc can lead to greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reductions.
On 1 August 2012, the three CSI member companies in India, co-chairing the project, signed a partnership with the IFC to formalize their commitment in starting the implementation phase, known as Phase II into some of their sites. Other CSI member companies in India are also invited to embark on the process.
The project has been well-received both in India and internationally as an important step in reducing emissions while maintaining pace for the rapid cement demand increase forecast in India.
- CBCSD and Members Participated and Suggested on the Project for Technical Regulation on Low-carbon Pilot Community
- CBCSD and Members Participated in the APEC Cooperation Network Construction Forum of Green Supply Chain
- Calculation Method of CO2 Emissions in Petroleum and Natural Gas Exploitation Enterprises & Calculation Method of CO2 Emissions in Water Network of Chemical Enterprises
- CBCSD Attended the Workshop for Environmental Protection and Sustainable Development and Delivered Introductions
- WBCSD: Tackling the Challenge, How to Make Informed Choices on Forest Product?
- The National New-Type Urbanization Plan Released, Board Members of CBCSD Help the Sustainable Development of Cities
- Board members of CBCSD Actively Participated in the Carbon Trading and International Climate Change Process
- Two industrial Standards Compiled by CBCSD Passed Examination
- Widespread Use of the Achievements Businesses Energy Saving and Greenhouse Gas Management
- CBCSD held Chemical industry enterprise value chain (range 3) greenhouse gas emissions, accounting and reporting guidelines